BLAND Diet For Dogs
Reasons Your Dog May Need To Start A BLAND Dog Diet
If your pup is experiencing doggie diarrhea or vomiting, and can't seem to keep any solid food down - your first response should be to speak with your vet.
However you'll want to relieve your dog from the symptoms as soon as possible, and starting a BLAND diet for dogs is typically the first thing your vet will recommend.
What Is A BLAND Diet For Dogs?
A BLAND diet for dogs is a diet that is soft and highly digestible.
BLAND is an acronym for:
Basic, Low fiber, Animal, Non-allergenic Diet.
Basically, it's very low in fiber, fat and protein and is high in carbohydrates. Both fiber and protein can add to a distressed system, and carbohydrates are more readily absorbed.
This dog diet is not meant to be a steady diet, but rather a simple approach to getting your dog back on the road to top dog health after an illness.
Please use common sense, and see your veterinarian asap.
Most commonly the BLAND diet is comprised of boiled rice and boiled lean chicken breast, without skin and bones. When you feed your doggie a BLAND diet it's important to know that stool production may slow down some and defecation is less frequent.
You can use a BLAND diet for dog to rest the gastric system and to help promote normal stool formation.
IMPORTANT: Animals that are physically sick should not be fed BLAND diets as a method of treatment! Please seek veterinary counsel asap.
Beginning A BLAND Diet For Dogs
I have heard that it's best to fast (no food, just water) your dog first for 12 hours before beginning a BLAND diet. Typically the dog who may need this holistic diet approach has already "fasted" themselves by not eating - this is commonly your first indication that your dog has a digestive issue. To start your dog on feeding your dog a BLAND diet, begin with very small amounts of the BLAND mixture, and feed your dog at frequent intervals (like a baby) 4 or 5 times during the day.
Then, gradually increase the amount you offer with each feeding.
Basic Recipe For Boiled Rice and Chicken BLAND Diet For Dogs
- Boiled white rice
- Chicken breast, no skin and bones
- Cook 1 cup white rice with 3 cups water, in a rice cooker or in a clean pan over medium heat.
- Bring your rice to a boil, then turn down the heat to very low and continue cooking (covered) for about 20 – 25 minutes or until the rice is soft.
- Meanwhile, de-fat the chicken breast by boiling it in water for 10 – 15 minutes. Continue cooking the chicken meat until the chicken meat is easily pulled apart and cooked all way through.
- Test for doneness by cutting into the center - if there is no pink (it's all white) your chicken is finished cooking.
- Remove both rice and chicken from heat and let cool completely.
- Once cooled, finely chop the chicken and mix with the cooked and cooled rice.
- Feed (by hand if necessary) in small, walnut sized amounts frequently throughout the day, about every couple hours or so. Increase the amount of BAND food you offer with each new feeding.
Storage: BLAND diet mixture can be pre-made and stored in the refrigerator for a maximum of 48 hours. Alternately, the BLAND diet mixture can be cooked in a batches and then frozen in small, feeding-sized portions, so you can eliminate preparation time. Thaw the frozen portions prior to feeding by moving a portion (or a day's worth of portions) to the refrigerator overnight.
Find more dog diet information with these additional pages…
- Upset tummy? Try the BLAND diet for dogs here.
- The low down on Grain Free dog food is here.
- Low fat dog food to get in Top Dog shape.
- Read about how eliminating corn can be your best first step.
- Busting the human grade dog food myth (and how dog food companies are dipping into your wallet).
- This page answers the question, what IS holistic dog food?.
- Will your dog benefit from a raw dog food diet?
- Yes, we love vegetarian dog food diets - and here's why...
- Read more about serving up a raw dog diet (just the facts).
The Best Dog Food Diet - Ever
However these is no substitute for a homemade dog food that has been prepared with our well being in mind. I might suggest that you begin with one of the simple recipes found in my Top 10 Healthy Homemade Dog Food Recipes (instant download) ebook below.
You are invited to viewTop Dog Food's Home Page Here
This is by far the best resource for getting your dog started on a raw dog food dietread more
This exclusive ebook is for anyone who loves to bake homemade treats for their doggie (like *you*)read more
There is nothing better than homemade dog food. Serve up some puppy dog stew and and watch us bounce with joy.