Worst Puppy Food List
Can you believe they make this stuff?
Here's Your Short List Of The Worst Puppy Foods
Basically avoid any dog food that lists corn, or any grain by-products as the first few ingredients. That included cornmeal, corn grits... anything that begins with corn.
Some examples of the worst puppy foods on the shelf are:
- Nature's Recipe Puppy Food
- Hills Science Diet
Just to name a few of puppy food brands to avoid. Some have had recurring recalls leading to serious illness and death, others simply skip the quality and pack in nonsense filler such as chicken meal -- which is any part of the chicken that cannot be sourced for other uses (think feathers).
I can share this brief list of the worst puppy foods that gave me doggie gas, and were lacking the proper nutrients. Without a proper diet, I would not have grown into the happy, healthy Top Dog that I am today. Today, the word a the dog park, my puppy pals tell me that they really go for Merrick puppy food. It's a bit more expensive and harder to find overall -- but worth the search.
I remember trying it, and that it tasted OK, but nothing to bark about. Just because it costs more, doesn't mean its great (or even good). So in my opinion, Merrick puppy food is just merely passable, and quite overpriced.
Purina Puppy Chow = Top Of Our Worst Puppy Food List
Purina Puppy Chow is #1 on our worst puppy food list. Although it's the number one selling dry puppy food, you have the advertising (big bucks here) that brings in the sales, not the quality. Among the list of ingredients, the package reads this puppy food is mostly made of of corn, more corn and mystery meat, along with other poor quality and filler ingredients - all ingredient that really should be avoided.
Advice? Put the Puppy Chow back on the shelf, and move on.
Science Diet Puppy Food = Not So Hot
Bottom line, if you fed your puppy Science Diet brand puppy food you would be feeding them the human equivalent of over-salted corn chips. I'd pass here, too.
AvoDerm Puppy Food = Pass Here, Too
A quick look at the ingredient in AvoDerm puppy food lists that Chicken Meal is the top ingredient. Chicken meal is the ground up leftovers from poultry packing plants, and of no real protein value. The next 2 ingredients are ground rices, preserved with chicken fat and then more rice. So basically this puppy food brand consists of processed meal, lots of rice and fat. I don't see any nutritional value here, until you get to the chemical additives that pump some artificial vitamins back in.
Avoid These Ingredients - For The Health Of Your Puppy
Don't buy any puppy food that lists two or more of these ingredients first off...
- Whole Grain Corn (can give your pup the itches!)
- Chicken By-Product Meal (what is this... the beaks and feathers?)
- Corn Gluten Meal (watch out here, more moldy corn which might make your pup sick)
- Pork Fat that is preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid (this chemical is not necessary)
- Dried Beet Pulp (beet pulp is an inexpensive filler which provides no nutritional value)
- Chicken Liver Flavor (think about this - if there's no chicken, what do they make the flavor from? )
Recommended Commercial Puppy Foods
Dry dog and puppy foods that have not been on the recall list in the past few years are seriously better puppy foods. After all, you need to trust that when you pen the bag and pour it into our dishes that we won't get sick... or worse.
Ideally, make your own homemade puppy food - that is the ONLY way to know what your puppy is eating. Homemade kibble is really easy to make, and you can find a simple recipe right inside Top 10 Healthy Homemade Dog Food Recipes.
Looking for more ways to feed your puppy?
You may want to check out these other puppy food pages...
- Start here with this information about the best puppy food.
- Pups love kibble because dry puppy food helps our teeth feel really good. Here's our pick for the best dry puppy food.
- Simply comparing puppy food.
- Canned and moist is fine, too. Read about canned puppy food here.
- Here's the low down on puppy food brands.
- Large pups are special (they grow into large top dogs!). So feed your large breed puppy exactly what he needs..
- OK, it's time to explore training your puppy (we'll love you for it!) .
- Here it is - the WORST puppy food list!.
You are invited to viewTop Dog Food's Home Page Here
This is by far the best resource for getting your dog started on a raw dog food dietread more
This exclusive ebook is for anyone who loves to bake homemade treats for their doggie (like *you*)read more
There is nothing better than homemade dog food. Serve up some puppy dog stew and and watch us bounce with joy.