Worst Puppy Food List
Can you believe they make this stuff?
Here's Your Short List Of The Worst Puppy Foods
Basically avoid any dog food that lists corn, or any grain by-products as the first few ingredients. That included cornmeal, corn grits... anything that begins with corn.
Some examples of the worst puppy foods on the shelf are:
- Nature's Recipe Puppy Food
- Hills Science Diet
Just to name a few of puppy food brands to avoid. Some have had recurring recalls leading to serious illness and death, others simply skip the quality and pack in nonsense filler such as chicken meal -- which is any part of the chicken that cannot be sourced for other uses (think feathers).
I can share the worst puppy food list of the worst puppy foods that not only gave me doggie gas, but were lacking the proper nutrients so I could grow into a healthy dog someday. The word a the dog park is my puppy pals seem to really go for Merrick puppy food. It's a bit more expensive and harder to find I hear, since this puppy food manufacturer has made an exclusive deal with a big box pet store.
So we tried it. It tasted OK, nothing to bark about. Just because it costs more, doesn't mean its great (or even good). Merrick puppy food was merely passable, yet overpriced.
Purina Puppy Chow = Top Of Our Worst Puppy Food List
Purina Puppy Chow is #1 on our worst puppy food list. Although it's the number one selling dry puppy food, you have the advertising (big bucks here) that brings in the sales, not the quality. Reading the list of ingredients, you will find out that this puppy food is mostly made of of corn, more corn and mystery meat, along with other poor quality and filler ingredients that should be avoided.
Advice? Put the Puppy Chow back on the shelf, and move on.
Avoid These Ingredients - For The Health Of Your Puppy
If the first ingredients as listed puppy food bag read something like this, don't buy it...
- Whole Grain Corn (can give your pup the itches!)
- Chicken By-Product Meal (what is this... the beaks and feathers?)
- Corn Gluten Meal (watch out here, more moldy corn)
- Pork Fat that is preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid (is this necessary?)
- Dried Beet Pulp ( a filler)
- Chicken Liver Flavor (if there's no chicken, what do they make the flavor from?
Bottom line, if you fed your puppy Science Diet brand puppy food you would be feeding them the human equivalent of over-salted corn chips.
Selected Better Puppy Foods
Dry dog and puppy foods that have not been on the recall list in the past few years are seriously better puppy foods. After all, you need to trust that when you pen the bag and pour it into our dishes that we won't get sick... or worse.
Ideally, make your own homemade puppy food - that is the ONLY way to know what your puppy is eating. Homemade kibble is really easy to make, and you can find a simple recipe right inside Top 10 Healthy Homemade Dog Food Recipes.
Looking for more ways to feed your puppy?
You may want to check out these other puppy food pages...
- Start here with this information about the best puppy food.
- Pups love kibble because dry puppy food helps our teeth feel really good. Here's our pick for the best dry puppy food.
- Simply comparing puppy food.
- Canned and moist is fine, too. Read about canned puppy food here.
- Here's the low down on puppy food brands.
- Large pups are special (they grow into large top dogs!). So feed your large breed puppy exactly what he needs..
- OK, it's time to explore training your puppy (we'll love you for it!) .
- Here it is - the WORST puppy food list!.
You are invited to viewTop Dog Food's Home Page Here
This exclusive ebook is for anyone who loves to bake homemade treats for their doggie (like *you*)read more